Marco Natural Gas Fireplace (Model B36CFI) won’t turn on

Old 04-13-13, 08:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marco Natural Gas Fireplace (Model B36CFI) won’t turn on

My Marco Natural Gas Fireplace (Model B36CFI) won’t turn on with the remote. The pilot light is lite. The remote’s led lights up so I assume it is not a battery issue. Is there a manual way to turn on the fireplace to rule out the battery? How do I troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks for the help.

-Shawn

Old 04-14-13, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I don't recall ever working on a Marco gas fireplace but I see it's in the Lennox family. I'm pretty sure the B36CFI is just the fireplace model or sub model. There should be a model number like 794xxx followed by a letter.

I don't really see any service info listed but maybe we can hep anyway. You said the red light comes on. Is that on a separate little box that has batteries in it and connects to the unit with two wires ?

Old 04-14-13, 04:27 PM
S
I believe Lennox bought Marco. The model # is B36CFI. Below that is the serial number which is 6500F01688. I was referring to the red light on the remote which is used to turn it on and off. I removed all the logs and cleaned the thermopile (or at least what I think is the thermopile as I didn't see the thermocouple. No difference. It used to take 5-6 seconds to light and then make a whooshing sound similar to this person's experience: [url=http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2012/10/diy-gas-fireplace-wont-light-how-to-clean-your-thermopile-and-thermocouple/]

Old 04-14-13, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Was it working recently or has it been off for a while ?

Do you know if that unit works with no power......during a power failure does it still work.
Some have a thermocouple that generates the power to keep the pilot valve open and also uses that power to open the valve.

My gas fireplace is remote controlled and has an additional small black switch mounted in the upper left hand corner of the outer frame. You don't see it unless you really look for it. My fireplace will work with the remote control during a power outage but the fan won't.

Old 04-14-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
This is a link for the closest matching unit to yours.

lennox hearth products Marco MGC36

Old 04-14-13, 06:54 PM
S
PJmax: I moved into the house in December and used it rarely. It would always take 5-6 seconds to start up and would make a "whoosh" noise similar to that URL mentioned. I don't think it has power. I believe it uses the gas/pilot to "power" the unit. The only "power" would be the remote which turns it on and off and the red light lights up on the remote when pressing the on/off button which leads me to believe it is not a battery issue. It has a small black box in the upper front which just has a knob for off/pilot/on. I am not sure if it has a fan or if there is another "switch"?

Old 04-14-13, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Then underneath the unit look for a wireless receiver. Probably a little black box with two wires on it connecting it to the gas valve area.. It will probably need new batteries. Most take 3 or 4 AA batteries.

Old 04-14-13, 07:25 PM
S
Apologies but can you explain better. Where would this unit be? The only black box I see is the one with the knob to turn the fireplace off/pilot/on. I attached a few pictures for reference. I also noticed the info area says no blower.

http://www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME...ireplace-1.jpg

http://www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME...ireplace-2.jpg

Old 04-14-13, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
No problem.

By the way....that Marco info plate in your first pic is the plate for the fireplace enclosure. The gas log system has it's own part number.

In your second pic....I see the gas valve in the lower right hand corner. I see what looks like a red and black wire. Where does that go ?

You have a remote controlled transmitter that turns the logs on. There has to be a receiver to pick up that signal and tell the logs to turn on. I have a similar system where a pair of wires is run out of the fireplace, just like yours, to a battery operated receiver that sits on the floor in the corner of the hearth. My receiver has a red LED on it that blinks when the batteries get low.

Old 04-14-13, 08:12 PM
S
WOW. I feel dumb. My wife who is 99.999% always right told me that the only power is supplied from the gas. I said there must be a wireless transmitter but she insisted so I went off to look at thermocoupler/thermopile. That wire led to the receiver that was below the fireplace insert in a compartment. I changed the 4 Sony AA batteries I just got on sale for $.79 at Shop Rite and it works perfectly. I just need to reorganize the logs that the previous owners didn't have set up right as the flame goes towards the rear of the insert. I also need to read up on all that crap they have in there to give the amber glow appearance. Either way, thank you so much!

Old 04-14-13, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
99.99% ..... I wouldn't advertise that.

You're welcome

Old 04-17-13, 05:12 AM
F
You have a Texas Bonfire Gas log from Golden Blount.

Here is how the logs are supposed to be stacked:
Golden Blount Log Placement

My Gas Fireplace Repair - Your Gas Fireplace Repair Resource

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: