New parts for Natural Gas Fireplace

Old 04-19-13, 01:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New parts for Natural Gas Fireplace

Trying to fix a natural gas fireplace that wasn't working that well. And it was really old. I've included pictures to help. It is vented. I have the grate and gas logs. I definitely need a new burner, sand. Might be a good idea to upgrade the pilot light system but I believe it works. If I keep the old one might be a good idea to get a new thermocouple and supply line to the pilot light. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I was leaning to ordering something like the following.

"F" Flaming Ember Vented Burner | WoodlandDirect.com: Fireplace Accessories, Log Sets, Gas Log Accessories, Log Sets - Gas, Log Sets - Gas

Not sure if I should get something like this for the pilot? My pilot system is in the back now this would have to go up front so I could use the control knob.

Fireplace Accessories, Fireplace Products, Fireplace Doors, Screens, Hearth Rugs, Grates & Toolsets-Woodlanddirect.com
Remotes/Woodland-Convertible-Safety-Pilot-Valve

If I keep the old pilot should I get a new one of these?
On/Off Valve with Extension | WoodlandDirect.com: Fireplace Accessories, Log Sets, Gas Log Accessories, Log Sets - Gas
The old one just spins unless it is pressed in. And its almost impossible to tell if the gas is in the on or off position with it.

Attached Images       
Old 04-20-13, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You want a control valve like this:

WHITE RODGERS 764-742 GAS PILOT SAFETY VALVE

I'd also get a new pilot burner, thermocouple and pilot tubing.

All those parts are often sold as an assembled kit that is relatively easy to install.

I'd extend the gas piping from the back to near the front of the fireplace, so that the control valve is in front of the burner and to the right of the burner, and has some protection dfrom radiant heat from the burner.

The current location probably gets blasted by lots of heat.

And I'd move the gas burner farther back into the fireplace.

White silica sand and some "glowing embers" that can be purchased at a fireplace shop.

But frankly, you would be farther ahead by having a fireplace repairman do this job. You will get a better quality installtion and more attractive flames in all likelihood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: