Can't figure out how to remove mantle

Old 07-28-13, 10:37 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't figure out how to remove mantle

I'm planning to install tile over our brick fireplace, and replace the existing mantle. Problem is, I can't figure out how the mantle is currently installed. Attached are a few pics of the fireplace w/ mantle. I have a feeling it's screwed into the underside supports, but not really sure. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Images    
Old 07-28-13, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Often those types have rebar sticking out of the brick with a corresponding hole in the mantle. I'm not sure what it takes to remove it if adhesive was used when it was set.

Old 07-28-13, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
If it was screwed into the underside supports you would have some kind of hole or plug in the top.

I would have to agree with mark..... it's sitting on some kind of pins. It may lift up or pull straight out.

You may have to use a flat pry bar to break it loose. One problem I can see is that it most likely has been glued and that glue will be tough to get off the brick.

Old 07-29-13, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Such a nice fireplace, too. When mantels are installed, they are put up with determination. They are meant to be permanent, so I feel you may have to destroy the mantel to get it down. Rebar, allthread rod, etc, combined with epoxy are often used as the others have described. One way would be to cut the mantel from the top lengthwise with a reciprocating saw. You'll hit the supports eventually and can switch to a metal blade. Once the majority of it is removed, it will be a matter of releasing the remainder of the wood from the rebar and cutting them flush to the existing brick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: