Increasing size of chimney flue.

Old 08-01-13, 06:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Increasing size of chimney flue.

I have been searching around for information about changing my chimney flue from 6" to 8". I'd prefer to achieve this while avoiding major construction but if a professional is needed I guess I'll have no choice. My plan is to replace my oil boiler from 1989 with a AHS WOC40 Multi-fuel boiler. Unfortunately it requires an 8" flue while I believe I only have a 6". Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 08-01-13, 07:00 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Without know what you have now and how it was run not sure how anyone here is going to be of much help with even guesses.

Old 08-01-13, 07:34 AM
G
"changing my chimney flue from 6" to 8"

I have seen professionals do something like it on neighbors homes. They have a machine that breaks up the original ceramic flue and they replace it with a new metal liner. Normally they do this because the ceramic flue is breaking up blocking the flue causing the gas furnace to shut down, although it may also be due to building codes when upgrading a fireplace.

I really doubt you should try it on your own even if you could rent the machine. It may not even be legal or wise to do so.

In one case a brick from the chimney dislodged during the process and broke a car window, so if you do do it, make sure to keep everyone/thing away from your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: