Build columns for mantel / re-tile suggestions?

Old 08-11-13, 06:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Build columns for mantel / re-tile suggestions?

Hi all, first post here. Just wanted to seek some suggestions on this project I want to accomplish in the near future.

Our mantel looks like it is floating. I hate it. And the tile is "meh".

What I'd like to do is build columns to give it the illusion of being a solid structure as opposed to a floating mantel. In addition to this, I'm considering ripping the tile out (or tiling over it) with something a little nicer.

My only concern with new tile is the rest of our house has this tile. The entry way / hallway all the way to the kitchen/ nook is this tile, and our backsplash in the kitchen is too. As well as both bathrooms... I'm afraid it'll be too inconsistent if we use a different tile... Does it even matter? I'm not very good at interior design... sooo... yea, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here is a photo- any suggestions on material to use, any modifications to existing mantel, etc that would make this look nicer I would appreciate.

Note: my wife likes the mantel, so we can't replace it- just add to it / lightly modify it.

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-13, 07:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Retiling may be a task, but doable. Consider simple changes such as placing fluting molding ahead of the mantel vertically to resemble pilasters on either end. Use these House of Fara 3/4 in. x 5-1/4 in. x 8 ft. MDF Flute Casing-8673 at The Home Depot to create that illusion. You could also use plinth blocks slightly larger than the fluted molding at the bottom to form bases. You could adhere all this to the tile with products like Loctite PL 8x or similar.

Old 08-12-13, 02:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with Larry, gluing 'legs' to the tile would be the simplest fix. Dry fit the pieces, then prime and enamel them before you glue them in place.

Old 08-12-13, 11:01 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is my main goal (build these columns)

Had never done it before so was just wondering if anyone had ideas based on my photo on particular material to use that would look good?

Old 08-12-13, 03:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I like Larry's suggestion to use fluted casing and plinth blocks. I don't know that you have enough depth to build the legs out any further, it would look fine to build heavier looking legs but you don't want them to stick out further than the bottom of the mantel.

Old 08-12-13, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, add this plinth block (you can cut the height if you wish) and the fluted molding mentioned in post #2 and it will make a nice eye piece. House of Fara 1-1/8 in. x 4-1/2 in. x 8 in. MDF Plinth Block-P458MDF at The Home Depot

As a matter of fact, disregard post 32 as it is too wide. Use this in conjunction with the plinth block and it will look just fine. House of Fara 3/4 in. x 3 in. x 8 ft. MDF Fluted Casing-8583 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: