smoking fireplace

Old 02-19-01, 09:24 PM
Visiting Guest
My fireplace, original on a fifty year old house, seems to be drafting poorly, and dumping alot of smoke into the house. There are no obstructions in the flue and all the dimensions seem to be correct. The house is one story, so there is no stack effect. I suspect the culprit is the original terra cotta caps. They are unusual in appearance, but show no signs of failure. Any help would be much appreciated

Old 02-20-01, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the house has been remodeled and tightened up, you may have to equalize the fireplace room pressure by cracking open a window.
Try that, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Good Luck!

Old 03-06-01, 04:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Flue Draw

had a problem with that kinda back-draft a few years back..I actually went to some "home improvement" catalog and bought a cap that "aero-dynamically" creates a suction on flue..I was skeptical..but it was a cheaper first shor that having a person make the chimmeny taller (big $$$) for a better draft effect...bottom line it works..I was impressed...so you want to look for a chimmeny cap that as the wind blows by it helps draw a suction from the flue..I am sure you can search for it on the WEB...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: