Fireplace Vent Question

Old 09-26-13, 11:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Vent Question

Name:  IMG_13891.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  41.8 KB

I am trying to determine if I can use a vent that is smaller/cosmetically pleasing with my fireplace, or is it best to use the vent that the builder installed.

Please note... originally the vent was installed upside down (which is why the fireplace wouldn't work). I had to turn it 180 degrees so it is right side up... as pictured.

Also, I was considering installing a custom cooking grill on my back patio and wanted to build it against the back of the fireplace (all of the other areas on the back patio against the house have windows). Any concerns as long as the vent isn't blocked?

Thank you for your assistance!

Old 09-26-13, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
They installed the vent upside down????? How did they expect it to draw? Nevermind. They do make vents that exit and don't require a turn up, but not knowing if your fireplace requires the type installed or not, would be a guess. Bear in mind, that vent will get HOT, CALIENTE, etc., so caution should be used with any building materials within 2' of it.

Old 09-26-13, 05:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes they installed it upside down. Couldn't figure out why the fireplace wouldn't work, then I notice the arrow embossed up the metal vent pointing the wrong direct and flipped it over. My guess is the builder thought it looked bad like it is mounted in the pic, where it is hanging over the box, so they turned it over the other way so it doesn't extend past the box. That's a very good point about the temp, I didn't realize it would get extremely hot. I suppose the good part about the vent is it has lots of surface area and deflectors to help disperse heat. It just looks terrible!

Old 09-27-13, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It does look like a pig's butt. Too bad they couldn't have thought through it a little better. You can actually place these against combustible surfaces, since, as you say, they deflect heat pretty well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: