Reface brick fireplace to stone.

Old 09-26-13, 12:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Reface brick fireplace to stone.

Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster. I've learned SO MUCH here, so thank you all already.

I am attempting to remodel my fireplace. It was built with the house in Colorado in 1967. It has also been converted to gas logs, as some point prior to my ownership. I am not interested in getting heat out of this, the room is already room, and despite the physics, the room does not cool off due to the gas logs sucking hot air out of the room up the chinmey. So the plan is to simply reface the current fireplace with stone veneer, or fake stone veneer, replace the old brass lined glass doors with something more to our liking, remove the huge 28" hearth which is no longer necessary due to wood no longer being burned, and replace the mantel, which is a nice red stone but won't match the new look; we'll likely go with a large block of wood for the new mantel.

So I have a lot of questions. Please see the photos that I have attached to get a better idea of where I am at.

I ripped out the brick from the mantel to the ceiling. It was barely attached, and sat right on standard sheet rock/drywall. I then removed the stone. mantel. I also removed the hearth stone and the bricks support it, as it was raised off the ground by about a foot. Now I am removing the brick below the mantel, and I noticed it's different now - the brick is two bricks thick. THis brick does NOT match the brick that was under the hearth, so I suspect it was refaced at least once before. It also does not match the brick on the outside of the house, which makes up the chimney, although I can now see that brick back in the hole I have now made. Is it ok for me to even be removing this brick?

It appears that, due to some cinderblock that is 4 inches out from flush to the wall, that the new fireplace that I build will also need to be 4 inches out. Correct?

One of the firebricks in the back is loose (see photo 7.) Does that need to be reseated with whatever special mortar I assume is used? Or does the box need to be rebuilt?

I want to put a TV above of the mantel, mounted into the wall. With that, the mantel, refacing the stone, and adding the door, I am unsure as to the order that things should be done, and I am surely missing some steps as well, to be discovered as I go.

1. Remove existing brick and get back to a flush wall
2. Remove drywall
3. Run new wiring
4. Build out supports/extensions on studs above mantel where the TV mount will be hung, to whatever clearance is needed to clear the new stone facing. (about 2 inches, unless I need to stick with the 4" above.)
5. Replace drywall above mantel area with cement board, around the protruding stud extensions
6. Hang mantel
7. Build up stone around mantel stud extensions.. that whole process has several steps in an of itself.
8. Install new glass door

I'm sure I am missing steps, unaware of lots of things, and that's why I am here to get your comments, suggestions, warnings.

Thanks everyone.

Attached Images         
Old 09-30-13, 07:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I think I am going to do is just place stone on top of the lower brick, since the brick would need to be built up to 4" anyway. Then, moving up, a mantel, then the stone sitting back on the flush wall. Should look ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: