Chimney sweep frequency

Old 10-02-13, 12:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney sweep frequency

I have an old Earth Stove fireplace insert that I burn about 1 cord per year in. it has a catalytic that I keep engaged whenever appropriate and I only ONLY ONLY burn dry hardwood, no trash, no softwood. The chimney is about 30 feet tall and drafts very well.

How often should it be swept?

Old 10-02-13, 01:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
It's hard to say A lot depends on both the chimney design and how hot the fires are. A hotter fire will produce less creosote/soot than a slower burning fire. My shop always has a hot fire [burn a lot of trash/soft wood too] and while I clean the flue once a yr - it doesn't really need it. The stove in my house [with a slow fire, only hardwood] needs the flue cleaned every month during the winter.

You might want to start by having it cleaned twice a year and then adjust it depending on how bad/good it is.

Old 10-31-13, 11:20 AM
N
I just had my chimney cleaned and inspected (just bought the house) and I was told if it gets a fair amount of use (that being good fires once or twice a week from october through march) than once at the begining or end of season if fine. More than that a cleaning midway was suggested. He also added if I only burn seasoned hardwoods, then I could still get by with just once a year.

I trust his judgement as I asked quite a few questions that I had no idea about, and he didn't try to sell me a single thing. He did a good cleaning and adjusted my damper. Told me "looking at your wood pile (all oak and maple cut up from hurricane Sandy) I'll see you next fall."

Old 11-01-13, 05:22 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Wood makes no difference if its seasoned. My dad burned nothing but pine for 15 years and never had more than a fingernail thickness. The key like said is hot fires.

Old 11-01-13, 06:44 AM
M
do you think having a catalytic in the wood stove has a significant impact. I would think so. my fires are extremely hot to begin with, but I reduce the air supply at night to keep it going longer while sleeping so the temp goes down significantly at night with just embers remaining in the early morning, then i fire it up again and keep it quite hot for the day. usually only burning on weekends with the odd full week stay at the cabin.
I have a sweep coming in a couple of weeks, so i plan to be here to find out how it looks. i'll report back after.
thx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: