Kitchen Exhaust Placement

Old 10-07-13, 01:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Exhaust Placement

Friends of mine do not have exhaust system in the kitchen which is long in length. I suggested them to put a fan or exhaust on the window which is 10 feet away and go from there.

However, they want me to create a hole in the ceiling and place an exhaust there. The air taken by exhaust will just go to the ceiling and not be connected to the standard vent of the house that goes into the roof.

Are they right in asking for ceiling hole and leave the kitchen air there. Will it not make house smelly or even some sort of hazard. I can make a long exhaust connection to the nearest window (mentioned above) but that would make their dining room look ugly.

Please advise and also any alternatives recommended.

Thanks all !

Old 10-07-13, 01:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Am I missing something - this would basically exhaust to nowhere?

Old 10-07-13, 08:27 PM
R
That was my question too. I think I will suggest them to buy a powerful exhaust or fan system and put it on the window to clear the air out. To push the air towards the window, I will make a hole on the wall next to oven and put an exhaust there or What ever they are happy with.

Thanks a lot !

Old 10-08-13, 05:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Especially in Canada you do not want to vent warm & humid kitchen exhaust in to the attic. It will cool and condense possibly leading to rot and mildew problems. The vent needs to go completely out of the house.

Old 10-08-13, 09:13 PM
R
One more possibility. I can put an exhaust on the top of the oven and then have the vent take a U turn to downwards and go into the basement (after a hole in the kitchen floor is made). Once in the basement, I will connect it to the dryer vent which exits outside.

Will the warm air from cooking not like to run downwards or the above alternative is somewhat possible.

Old 10-09-13, 12:40 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You cannot connect ANYTHING but the dryer to the dryer vent. A range hood needs to also be independent of any other exhaust ducting.

Having the duct go down is not a major obstacle but having a large enough duct may be a problem if you are going to run it inside a wall. You also need an exhaust blower of sufficient power to overcome the resistance of the ductwork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: