gas line run into fireplace

Old 10-07-13, 03:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas line run into fireplace

My fireplace is a standard, brick fireplace, however there is a black iron gas line run to it which comes up through the floor of the fireplace. There's a keyed valve outside of the fireplace to turn the gas on or/off.

How can I burn wood in here? I assume embers shouldn't be falling down in the gas line. Can I just get a black iron cap? Do I need to seal it airtight? Will the heat damage the pipe or travel down to the gas further down the line?

Old 10-07-13, 04:05 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you had a sweep come in and inspect this fireplace to see if you can even use it to burn wood in yet?
That line needs to be disconnect back at the source, (meter, gas tank) not just shut off or capped.

Old 10-07-13, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The log lighter is used only to light the logs. Ones lit you turn the gas off. You need to light to gas tube by hand most likely.

Does that tube have holes in it?

If your not comfortable with it then light the fire the old fashion way with kindling....

Old 10-07-13, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
After a while that pipe does need to be replaced....

I am not sure about caping it. If the pip is still in the firplace and the gas is turned on I am not sure what will happen.

If you cap I would say cap in the wall where the shut off is.

Old 10-07-13, 05:10 PM
T
Here's a couple pics, hopefully they will help illustrate. One is the open pipe in the floor of the fireplace. The other is what I presume to be a shut-off in the floor next to the hearth.

There is no tube with holes in it, though I would guess one used to be connected? It just seems generally dangerous to have gas lines run to somewhere you are burning a wood fire (though I guess it's standard practice for that type of starter?)..

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-13, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
This is for example only... I am not affiliated with the company but they post a good explanation with pics....

Gas Log Lighter Installation - Sacramento CA - AtoZ Chimney Sweep

Old 10-07-13, 06:04 PM
T
Thanks. I think I'll leave out the starter though and just light conventionally.

So I can just put some teflon tape on the pipe threads, screw a cap on, and burn away?

Old 10-08-13, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not sure the teflon tape will serve any purpose and would likely melt. Since the gas pipe is currently uncapped/open we can assume that it isn't hooked up to any gas supply so just screwing on a cap should be sufficient.

Old 10-08-13, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
we can assume that it isn't hooked up to any gas supply
I think it is mark.... The gas valve in the floor needs to be turned on.

Old 10-08-13, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Will teflon tape stand up to the heat generated by a fire?

Old 10-08-13, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm... Thats the thing... If he caps it tight and someone turns the gas on will the pipe fill with gas? I think it will stay an air pocket, but that pipe will get heated buy the coals? What could happen?

Would it be best to leave the cap on loose? Thats probably what I would do...But Im a worry wart

I would probably hook it up as it was intended and get a new log lighter arm, otherwise I would go in the basement and disconnect as much as I can and cap....

Old 10-08-13, 07:09 AM
T
what's the advantage to attaching the lighter arm or leaving the cap on? Won't it be the same issue if someone turns on the gas?

I guess then we would smell it, at least, right?

Old 10-08-13, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
You would smell it and/or if there was a fire it would just ignite....Im not keen on having a capped gas line in a fireplace...

Old 10-09-13, 09:19 AM
T
I guess I will just add the arm then. Should I put something on the threads where the arm attached to the stub to seal it? Or it seems not necessary?

I still don't get why heat doesn't travel down the pipe past the shutoff valve and heat the gas beyond the valve?

Old 10-09-13, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
This is nice if you want to use it as a gas fire place. If your going to burn wood and not use the log lighter I would just put a cap on top loose so no ash falls in the pipe. And just hide the gas key....
I meant in m
y other post that I would not screw the cap on tight, when I said I am not too thrilled with a cap in a fireplace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hc1WLSNcM88#t=146

Old 10-09-13, 01:02 PM
T
ok. I'm not sure which I will use it for. Right now, neither

But if I burn wood, it won't heat the pipe further down to a dangerous level via the stubbed out piece?

Old 10-09-13, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
But if I burn wood, it won't heat the pipe further down to a dangerous level via the stubbed out piece?
No I dont think so................

Old 10-09-13, 08:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
But joecaption1's question hasn't been answered yet:
Have you had a sweep come in and inspect this fireplace to see if you can even use it to burn wood in yet?
Maybe it was intended as a gas fire place only.

Old 10-09-13, 11:08 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Maybe it was intended as a gas fire place only.
I don't think so. It is obviously a masonry fireplace with the clean-out door and other brickwork. I really think the pipe is for a log starter.

Old 10-10-13, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
..... but it is always prudent to either have a sweep check out the flue or at least inspect it yourself before building any fire for the first time! It's better to find out about any blockages or voids before you build a fire.

Old 10-10-13, 06:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Once replaced the siding around a "wood chimney" surrounding the metal pipe from a fireplace insert. The pipe just ended two inches short of the roof cap. They had been using gas logs but if they had built a real fire any ember could have landed in the wood surround instead of CO.

Old 10-10-13, 06:42 AM
T
The fireplace had a woodburning insert which was definitely used a lot by prior owner. However, since it sat on small feet over the gas line it didn't have the direct contact with the heat that burning fire directly in the fireplace would. Still, there were ashes in the cleanout/ash box, etc. so it did burn wood conventionally at some point in time. I just wasn't sure if the gas line was put in after the last time it had been used for burning wood directly.

I did have a chimney sweep come inspect and clean it out, though I was pretty disappointed in the job he did, but that's another story

Old 10-10-13, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm... Why did you remove the insert? That would give you better heat then a standard fire..

Possible you are looking for the look of a real fire?

Fireplaces just suck the warm air out of the home IMO. I would have left the insert...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: