Question about control mechanisms for gas fireplace.

Old 10-17-13, 12:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about control mechanisms for gas fireplace.

Hello,

I recently purchased a home with a freestanding natural gas fireplace. Unfortunate the control device/pilot do not work. It appears to be a very obscure brand from Europe and I cannot find anyone who can service it.

I'm hoping that it would be possible to install a simple manually lit system, but every stove contractor refuses to do something like that because it would mean tampering with the UL listed control. I assume they just don't want to have the liability.

Is there any reason I couldn't simply remove the control system, pilot and what not and install a valve that could just be controlled by hand.

something along the lines of:

3/4" pipe comes out of wall, emergency ball valve for shut off, pipe to ball valve for fireplace control, pipe into burner.

That way i could just turn on the gas and light it with a match and call it good. Obviously i would have to be careful to shut off all the valves when not in use, and it wouldn't be used unattended.

Talking to contractors makes me feel like this is a bad idea, but is it?

I plan on replacing this thing with a good gas insert so i hate to spend a ton of money on it. Just looking for the simplest solution to get some heat and get through this winter.

Old 10-17-13, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Everyone wants a temporary fix to get thru this season..... and then it's next season.

but every stove contractor refuses to do something like that because it would mean tampering with the UL listed control. I assume they just don't want to have the liability.
Darn right !!! We're talking about gas here. I can't not make any recommendations to you other than changing out the stove.

Old 10-18-13, 08:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJmax,

Thanks for the welcome.

I understand the concern. All liabilities aside, for which you have none. Why would my method not be possible?

I understand the concern, normally you have a mechanism to prevent gas from leaking when a flame is not burning (thermocouple / & pilot ). But I would have redundant shut offs (ball coming in and control) and would not use it accept when in the room. Isn't that how gas fireplaces used to operate anyway?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: