Help with installing natural gas fireplace inserts

Old 10-22-13, 10:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with installing natural gas fireplace inserts

Approximately 3 years ago, I had the natural gas company come run a line into my fireplace so that a vent free gas log set could be installed. The gas technician installed the log set for us as well. Last year, the ignite switch stopped working and then a weeks later the log set quit altogether.

I am now buying a new log set. Can anyone give me any insight on whether it is an easy switch or whether it's complicated to do? I would obviously prefer to do it myself instead of paying someone a couple-hundred to do it.

Any info would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Melanie

Old 10-22-13, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,512 Votes on 1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The work should be pretty much straightforward. There should be a valve in that area that uses a key to shut it off. That would be called a Dante valve.

That valve would need to be shut off before doing any work. You should be able to either slide out the old log set or remove the glass front and pull that out. You should see a 1/2" flex line for the gas and possibly an electrical connection if your logs have the blower.

Old 05-17-14, 05:23 AM
C
gas insert

Hi, I have the same question. I don't know if you ever got an answer. I would love to know if it is possible to hook the gas line to my new insert. If you get an answer could you please post it. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

Old 05-17-14, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, PJMax in post #2 gave instructions. If you have doubts in your ability to install them call your gas company.

Old 05-17-14, 05:44 AM
C
Thank You, I can do it myself, just didn't know if it was against code for me to do it.

Old 05-17-14, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,512 Votes on 1,398 Posts
I'm fairly certain a homeowner can install their own fireplace as long as the gas line installation was inspected. I would call your local plumbing inspector and ask him.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: