Firepit for winter?

Old 10-27-13, 06:34 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Firepit for winter?

Can anyone tell me if firepits are only for fall and spring seasons or can they work effectively in winter too, say when it's low as 20 degrees outside?

Old 10-27-13, 08:43 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
As one who has done a bit of winter camping (many years ago) I can tell your results will be half baked. That is, you will toast on one side and freeze on the other. An open air firepit will not be able to warm the air around (as in surrounding) you. The heat you receive will be radiant energy to the surface that faces the fire.

Now, is that all bad? No! dressing warmly and sitting around an outside firepit is unique. Kind of a sweet and sour experience. For those, like myself, who enjoy the relaxation of a flickering fire, it is worth the effort. There are also fewer bugs and in my area, no fire permit is required.

Bud

Old 10-27-13, 08:55 AM
M
Thanks, I saw some people on TV on CBS this morning sitting around a firepit, I did not get a full or long enough view of the pit but I am sure it was not firewood logs they were using, my guess is it looked like charcoal sized and shape something, any ideas what that could be please?

Old 10-27-13, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Some firepits are gas, and operate like a gas firelog in a fireplace. Less than effective and a little sissy, IMO. Firepits that use wood for fuel seem to be able to put out more heat, but as Bud says, it is iffy in getting your lee side warmed all the time.

Old 10-27-13, 10:57 AM
M
I agree, gas for firepit doesn't make sense to me which would take away from the "outdoor" purpose? Just like gas Grilling in my opinion, what's the sense of BBQ-ing or grilling if you can't see and smell the smoke ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: