Gas fireplace Pilot went out after flipping on burner switch

Old 10-29-13, 08:51 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace Pilot went out after flipping on burner switch

Hello, I have a Majco GCV36 fireplace. When I turn on the burner switch, the pilot would go out. Sometimes, the pilot went out in the middle of the day while we are at work.

This is a 17 years old FP that was in the house that I just recently bought. I changed the thermopile, vacuum the dust inside the fireplace. The fireplace has been working more consistently. It can be working for a whole week without any problem. But the last few days, the pilot went out every morning we tried to turn the switch on. Not sure if it has to do with the colder weather, a newly added humidifier, a new gas furnace? Those are the changes in the past one week. Any clue what I can try?

Old 10-29-13, 08:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Try cleaning the orifice in the pilot burner. It sounds as if you have a minimally burning pilot. Although I am unable to give you detailed instructions the orifice is usually located at the pilot burner itself, under the connection for the pilot burner gas supply tubing.

Old 10-30-13, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
I don't know if you logs are vent free or not but if they are vent free than the pilot assembly also serves as the oxygen sensor. The pilot flame is very precise and if there is a slight drop in oxygen the flame diminishes and cuts off all gas, so it has a hair trigger and is very sensitive to any dirt or soot buildup. You mentioned changing the thermopile. Have you confirmed that it is properly positioned in the flame? Also try cleaning the air inlet holes in the pilot assembly.

Old 10-30-13, 08:39 AM
P
Thanks Furd and Dane for your reply. The fireplace has a vent to the side of the house. But I didn't pay attention to the exact position of the thermopile, when I put it back on. I will first clean the pilot assembly and orifice, and if the problem still persist, I will reposition the thermopile. Let me give these a try! Thanks!!

Old 11-04-13, 08:27 AM
P
Hi all, I took out the orifice and cleaned it on Friday morning, and used compressed air to clean the pilot outlet while the orifice was out. Put everything back together after cleaning. The fireplace is still presenting problems in the last few days over the weekend.

The pilot runs and stays on no problem. But then when we tried to turn it on, the pilot would shut off. Sometimes the main burner turns on, and everything including the pilot shutoff after 10-15 mins. There are couple times worked flawlessly. Also, sometimes, when the switch is on, it takes 5 seconds before the main burner turns on.

Is ther anything I can try to address the issue?? Thanks!

Old 11-04-13, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
You replaced the pilot generator. Was that a generic part or the exact one for your fireplace ?

Is the generator fully in the flame. It it's not it may generate enough power to hold the pilot open but not enough to reliably fire the burner.

If you have a voltmeter you could read the DC voltage. Relocate it in flame for a higher voltage output.

Old 11-04-13, 10:02 PM
P
Tonight, I checked the voltage output. It was about 0.55V when the switch is open. When it's closed, it drops to about 0.23V. These voltages seem lower than that (0.9V) when I first installed the new thermopile. The thermopile has only been 2 months old. It was a generic one, the Honeywell brand to be exact.

But I can see what you are saying about the pilot flame. It seems that the pilot light was shifted a little bit, and it's not as directly pointed to the thermopile. I will try to adjust it and see if the voltage will increase more. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: