Tall Fireplace Chimney

Old 10-29-13, 04:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tall Fireplace Chimney

I am in the process of building a farm style house with a wrap around porch. There will be a fireplace on the main level and a gas fireplace in the basement, both with the flue and small exhaust pipe going up the chimney. We plan to put veneer stone on the chimney, but the extreme height of the chimney has caused me to ponder some alternatives. The roof is 12/12 pitch with standing seam metal exterior.

The problem is that we cannot fathom putting veneer stone on a chimney that goes about 12 feet higher than where it exits the roof. Due to the steep roof, the chimney will need to go 2 feet higher than the roof hip to meet code. Is there a design that goes up just past the roof line with veneer rock, and then on to something that is easy and light to erect? I do not see us building a scaffold for this one tall item.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Chuck

Old 10-29-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
You could rent a lift.

How about adding a false gable on that end with the chimney to help support it. A 12' chimney might look a little funny.

Old 10-29-13, 04:59 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
What kind of fireplace will be on the main level, gas, wood, sealed combustion, or natural draft, or other?

Bud

Old 10-29-13, 06:51 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main level will have an air tight wood burning fireplace. It is actually a Napoleon fireplace insert with twin blowers. We have had it for years in our old house and it works great.

I did some more searching and found something called a chimney pot, which is a simple ceramic or steel pipe that comes out of the masonry chimney. It is light and elegant, and been in use for hundreds of years in Europe to cure the problem that I am faced with right now. I think that I will attempt to design and build one out of 6" diameter pipe.

Chuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: