How to compare fireplaces

Old 11-03-13, 07:25 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to compare fireplaces

SO, we're doing a remodel and are putting in a direct vent gas fireplace. I don't know the difference from one to another or what features or specifications are important.

Can anyone give me any basics on this? I know the BTUs are amount of heat it puts out but what else is there to know?

We're looking at a Double sided / See Thru style and I saw this one at Menards for $2k which is a good deal from what I've seen at actual fireplace stores.
36" Santa Fe See-Thru Direct Vent Fireplace - Natural Gas at Menards

Thanks!

Old 11-04-13, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
You've already made one decision choosing direct vent over a vent free so that narrows the field. You also need to pick the correct model for your fuel; propane or natural gas.

Why do you want the fireplace? If it is for heat you need to consider the usable BTU output and if it is correct for where you are installing it. Too low and you might not be able to use it as emergency heat when the power goes out. Too high and it may heat the room up quickly and turn off so you don't get to see the pretty flames. If you are installing it mainly for cosmetics then I would pick a lower BTU model that has a flame pattern you like.

Personally I like basic fireplaces/stoves/gas logs and by that I mean no electronics. I find things like remote controls troublesome at best. They are potential failure point all to save bending over and turning the flame down or on/off and "where did I put the remote?". I like stoves that can be controlled by a wall switch. This can be a simple on/off switch or thermostat so the fireplace turns itself on and off automatically.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: