Replacing a wood burning fireplace insert.

Old 11-14-13, 06:02 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing a wood burning fireplace insert.

I currently have a zero clearance wood burning fireplace that is essentially worthless as far as heat value, I think its meant more for romantic atmosphere than producing usable BTU's. There is a chimney that has a 8" double wall vent pipe which is attached to the box that the insulated firebox sits in. Is it possible to tear out the wood burning part of the equation & connect a free standing, coal burning stove up to without having to tear out the whole wall etc. I can get a new Hitzer, free standing coal stove that will put out up to 250,000 BTU's for about $1800. But I don't want to have to spend $5000 to install or convert the whole in the wall where that dreadful fireplace insert sits. Besides being plain old ugly, it lets all kinds of cold air in during the winter months & I do not have access to free wood to keep it burning 24/7 during the colder months, hence the transition to coal, which is plentiful by me & cheap enough according to neighbors that heat their entire home with coal and only spent about $650 last year. I have a great pellet stove heating the basement but I spent about $750 in pellets & another $650 for heating oil. I can move the pellet stove up onto the main floor of the house but I'm not gaining any savings & its 5 years old now so I'm guessing it will need replacement parts sometime this winter when I rely on it the most. I can upload photo's for reference if needed.

Regards,
fnolteiii

Old 11-27-13, 04:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a solid fuel fireplace such as your current one and the manufacturer says no no to coal burning. So you will need to do some research for sure. Call Hitzer and tell them what your your current set up is, and they may be able to give you more info on what you need to do to retrofit your installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: