How to remove stovepipe from ceiling?

Old 11-26-13, 10:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove stovepipe from ceiling?

Just moved into a house built in '61. The previous owner had removed a wood burning stove and covered the pipe in the ceiling with a decorative plate. I removed the decorative plate and the pipe in the ceiling is not quite flush with the ceiling as parts of it are folded back and it extends into the room by about 1/4 inch. The pipe in the ceiling is about 3 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter.

I am looking to remove this pipe so the ceiling can be patched to look like the pipe & hole were never there.

My problem is that I am not sure how the pipe is held into the ceiling and what the best approach is to remove it. I am assuming I can't just pull real hard. I also don't have easy access to the pipe from above as a closet wall is blocking access. Any recommendations anyone could suggest would be very appreciated.

See attached for pictures of the ceiling & and pipe as well as looking up into the pipe.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 11-26-13, 11:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The sections do not simply slide together. Many brands have a twist lock. Hopefully you can get enough grip on the exposed part to try and turn it. Unfortunately there are often fire blocking pieces and support strapping that may be holding it in place. In that case a abrasive cutoff tool or reciprocating saw or tin snips might be the best option.

Old 12-01-13, 11:42 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Success!

Hey Pilot Dane - Thanks for the tips, they were a big help.

I picked up a Dewalt angle grinder off amazon with some metal cutting wheels (was good timing as they have $25 off $100 for Dewalt stuff right now). I was able to use that to cut away the lip of the exterior pipe and once i did that, an interior pipe slid right out.

It turned out the exterior 'pipe' was only about 6 inches tall and nailed in. I used a hammer and reciprocal saw to remove that and now i am good to go!

Thanks again.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: