altering fire setup ! Help!

Old 02-27-01, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
hello, right ive altered the fireplace from a setup with a fire back and throat etc. to an opening 23 inches high 23 inches wide and 15 inches deep. in order to accommodate a 18 inch coal and wood burning basket. now since lighting it we have severe frustrating draw problems. smoke rolls at the top of the opening and into the room.... the actual flue starts about 8/10 inches above the top of the opening, and is appromiamately 9 inches square. questions.
do i need to restrict the flue ie with a damper etc. or create an airflow in front of the hearth.. and is there any rule of thumb regarding height width depth dimmensions of the opening etc regarding successful draw flow etc. previous to myself taking out the old setup everything was just fine... chimney has a dowm draught cap on. How can i get this thing to roar ??
thanks in advance, dempster , England..

Old 02-28-01, 11:39 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
I do not understand why you would alter the opening if it was working fine. would the coal basket not work in the larger opening? You sait it has a down draught instalsed should't it be opened when the fire is going..Have you tried to preheat the chimney ..take a news paper and light it and hold it up in the fire place as high as you can and see if it will start to draw the smoke out, this can help some times . . . .Goog Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: