Calmex Gas Fireplace, new Thermopile, no pilot light, no replacement?

Old 12-25-13, 11:48 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Calmex Gas Fireplace, new Thermopile, no pilot light, no replacement?

I inherited a Calmex 6-B gas fireplace (from 1987). The pilot light was on for years, but the main gas started to fail. I replaced the Thermopile, and the main gas issue was fixed, but the pilot light wouldn't reliably light, and now won't catch at all.

The Calmex doesn't have a separate thermocouple, and the voltage from the thermopile, 200 millivolts, is making it back to the screw leads, at least.

There doesn't seem to be any repair *or* replacement product. The Robert Shaw Robertshaw 710-502 Low Profile Millivolt Gas Valve | HVAC Parts Warehouse doesn't match the fixed main burner pipe, and there is no other product for this out of manufacture fireplace.

The gascock will allow gas to the pilot when pressed, but it is way too much (like 18" flames), so I suspect the gascock has failed. The seal and spring look good though. The pilot light adjustment works, although it doesn't return the flames to normal.

So I have nothing to replace it with, and I don't see anything to repair. What next?

Yes, I'm holding the gas on for a minute, and have cleaned all pipes, etc. The two times the Pilot has caught, the main gas works fine.

Old 12-26-13, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You are reading 200 millivolts when the pilot stays lit..... correct ?

When you light the pilot you get an 18" pilot flame ?
Have you tried cleaning the pilot orifice ?

Old 12-26-13, 05:45 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, the pilot light does not stay lit, even when I'm reading 200 millivolts.

Yes, the flame is a crazy foot and a half long.

Can the electromagnetic closure in the back go bad? Any thoughts on how to test that?

Old 12-26-13, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
Without the pilot being lit..... the pilot generator puts out almost nothing. It requires the pilot actually burning and heating the pilot generator to generate power.

The following link may be helpful to you.

Robertshawtstats-Content Files ControlTips-MillivoltSystems.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: