Pellet stove not blowing hot

Old 01-01-14, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pellet stove not blowing hot

My pellet stove just doesn't blow as hot as it used to. The owners manual is not very helpful for any DIY 'fixes'.
I am a woman, and I prefer to try and 'get things done' on my own for several reasons...the expense of having someone come in and do it is highest on that list.
Anyway, it is a US Stove - 5500 model, and has not been ultra friendly from the onset. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-01-14, 03:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Any actual clues or information you can provide? "...just doesn't blow as hot..." really does not help much. Have you used a thermometer to verify the temperatures it's producing? Has the unit been cleaned? Have you noticed anything different like reduced or changed airflow or poorer burning? Does the fan still run at the same speed as it used to?

Old 01-01-14, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
I was looking at the owners manual and there are several ways to run the inside blower. Either automatically or to select the operating speed from 1-9.

I left you the link below for the manual in case you don't have it. Page 14 addresses the blower fan operation.

U S Stove resources owners manuals 5500 series.pdf

Old 01-02-14, 05:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are many variables that would keep a wood pellet stove from running effectively as it "used to". Primarily the reduction to thermo heat transfer and air flow (internal or external).

some quick checks -
Make sure there is no ash build up on inside box walls and tubes or firebox itself (inside unit clean out is as important)

If unit is in a dusty area, make sure the air flows are not restricted, a good vacuum clean out will help this.

Type of wood pellets is the next consideration. This makes a big difference in how hot and how much ash your going to get.

Also - depends on who installed your unit - how long it was there... make sure the exhaust is unrestricted and clear - no ash build up and the air inlet on back of stove is hooked up... getting it's outside air from the outside air - not open and sucking out your heated air..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: