Furnace Blower freequent cycling

Old 01-02-14, 08:49 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Blower freequent cycling

I have a Duomatic Olsen CWO-B112 Oil, Coal and Wood combo unit. Really have been liking the unit thus far (purchased the house about a year ago). Second heating season and thought I'd give wood heat a try. 1000 in oil helped me with that decision.

Recently I've been using wood that isn't as dry as I thought so I'm finding the heat not quite what I'd hoped for. I expected those results.

What I'm seeing though is that the blower is cycling much more than what I'm used to. Typically once we get those coals going, it'll stay on most the time.

Can anyone tell me that the start/stop of a blower is more wear on it than if continuously running? When it is off, within 5-10 minutes it's back on for 30-45 at least. Considering turning the fan on consistent, not sure how that'll affect anything else though (ie heat exchange running cooler etc)

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-14, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can anyone tell me that the start/stop of a blower is more wear on it than if continuously running?
Cycling the fan does cause more wear on the motor but that wear needs to be weighed against the cost of the electricity it would take to keep it running continuously.

Those times are not uncommon for fan cycling.

There should be no problem leaving it run continuously. The heat exchanger will run cooler and the air temps leaving the furnace will stay a more even.

Old 01-02-14, 11:45 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, been a lurker in the threads for a while now.

Running the heat exchanger cooler, cause for concern? Maybe a lowered chimney temp/creosote etc?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: