8x8 clay liner question

Old 01-04-14, 04:42 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
8x8 clay liner question

Hello-

What is the inner flue dimensions to a standard 8x8 clay liner?

(I assume its not 64")

And how does that pertain to something called the '7x rule'? and if a water heater heater can be vented into it.....

Old 01-05-14, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Is anything else using this chimney? You aren't allowed to use one flue for multiple vents.
I'm not sure I understand the rest of the question Unless I'm mistaken the clay flue liner in my chimney is 7" square. I'm not sure if that's a nominal size or actual exterior or interior dimension.

Old 01-05-14, 04:21 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An 8x8 clay liner would have a smaller inner flue dimension. Probably 7x7 or even 6.5x6.5... im not sure which.

Theres a rule of thumb called the 7x rule and I am not sure how the inner dimension of that liner would calculate with a water heater.

As far as multiple vents using the same chimney, although this is not the case in my situation, I would say the majority of 80 percent or less furnaces share a chimney with a water heater so I am not sure what you mean about not being able to use multiple vents with one chimney/flue.

Regardless, my original questions remain.... thank you.

Old 01-05-14, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Locally the list them as 7x7 liners as they typically fit in either chimney block that has an 8x8 void in the middle or other block/brick laid to the same dimensions.

I probably didn't explain well You can have multiple flues in one chimney but you can only exhaust one device per flue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: