chimney liner scam or not? No draft in my boiler.

Old 01-23-14, 03:17 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
chimney liner scam or not? No draft in my boiler.

I have a chimney liner stainless steel. People say its usually not needed but I had installed 2 years ago when I bought my house and had it cleaned. My boiler was cleaned today and it appears the draft is bad so now I need to have my chimney cleaning company come back and check the liner again. Its so annoying I feel like they should take the liner out.

Old 01-23-14, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Welcome.......

No the liner is a good thing... Drafting issues can be a blocked liner say from a birds nest...Or possible the boiler is old and all sooted up and not cleaned properly...

What is the make and model of the boiler?

And to know if you may have condensation issues what type of heat emitters in the home? Cast iron radiators or baseboard? Copper finned baseboard???

Or a gas issue... If NG.... Has the W.C. (pressures) been checked?

Old 01-23-14, 04:54 PM
X
The boiler was thoroughly cleaned today, it was also cleaned last april. The boiler is a Weil Mclain, baseboard heating, copper. The liner was installed Sept 2011 boiler cleaned in April 2013 by oil delivery guy who mentioned chimney guy should check the liner since not much draft. The chimney company returned and said all is well with the liner, and the chimney cap is fine etc and showed me draft by lighting a match near boiler. Today a furnace tuneup, cleaning company did a thorough cleaning and noticed the heat chamber was clogged and cleaned it very well. The flue shows draft of 0.0.0.1 and they stated the number should be a negative. I think I will have the original chimney cleaning company take a look since they did the work. I wasn't the happiest with them and thought they were screwing me with a 30' SS liner. But something has to be wrong with the chimney to block the draft. The problem now with the cold and snow we had in NY I am sure I have a while to wait for it to clear up for them to come.

Old 01-23-14, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Whats the diameter if the liner?

Is it installed in an internal chimney or external?

Old 01-24-14, 03:50 AM
X
Internal my chimney is brick and the liner went inside so I think that makes it internal correct? I have a feeling the chimney company is going to sell me on Thermocrete™ Ceramic Flue Sealant [CFS]. But I spent 1900 on this stainless steel liner.

Old 01-24-14, 04:11 AM
X
coming out of the boiler is 7 the liner is 6.

Old 01-24-14, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
I meant is the chimney itself out side like along an outside wall or internal to the home?

coming out of the boiler is 7 the liner is 6.
No way!!! That could be you issue right there? But are you sure 7"..

You cannot reduce the size of the flue.. ( You should get your money back from whoever installed it)

What is the model boiler?

Old 01-24-14, 06:27 AM
X
chimney is outside boiler is

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-14, 06:31 AM
X
Here are some images. There is 7" marked on the stackpipe going up from boiler. I will double check my paper work when I get home but I will never use my original chimney company that installed the liner.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-14, 02:45 PM
X
I checked my bill from previous chimney installer and it states 7"-6" 30 ft flue with a reducer. I am waiting on another chimney company since I do not trust the previous company with their mistakes.

Old 01-24-14, 09:00 PM
lawrosa is correct. The liner should have been a 7" liner if that is what the furnace calls for.

Another thing you can check is to see if your area where the furnace is located is air tight. Many basements are air tight and actually pull air down the flue to to replenish the air in the room. this will create poor draft.

Old 01-25-14, 06:25 AM
X
I have a window opened in the boiler room. I guess I need to deal with the original chimney company to come back out and replace this liner free.

Old 01-27-14, 05:46 PM
X
New chimney guy comping this week ripping out non needed sleeve and cleaning it.

Old 01-27-14, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm... I would leave the sleeve... Just have proper size installed...

How do you know all the tiles are good in the chimney?

Most municipalities want you to sleeve...AFAIK...

Old 02-03-14, 08:18 AM
X
chimney liner is ripped out chimney is cleaned no smell of smoke and I have a draft. Chimney company stated I did not need a sleeve and I found out other Chimney company was a scam and had bad things via BBB. This new Chimney company had excellent reviews etc and got the job done right.

Old 06-03-14, 05:54 AM
X
4 months since the cleaning and sleeve removal and now I just noticed the flue not moving meaning no draft. Not sure if its the furnace or chimney. I also start to smell the smoke again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: