Repairing Igniter for DESA gas log stove

Old 01-24-14, 09:43 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing Igniter for DESA gas log stove

I have a freestanding vent less gas log stove with this information on the back label: DESA International Model No�s. SCIVFBC, SCIVFRC, SCIVFCC, SCIVFGC, PSCIVFGC, PSCIVFRC, PCIVFSC. The unit is probably 10+ years old. The igniter went out about 5-6 years after I had it and I would like to repair it. Getting tired of lighting it the hard way. Can anyone give me any tips on repairing just the igniter? The button appears to work OK I am just not getting any spark. I am hoping I do not need to buy the whole pilot/thermocoupler assembly as these items seem to be working well and all of that stuff gets pretty pricey. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 10:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 633 Votes on 585 Posts
How does or should your stove work? Some have the ability to run in electronic/automatic and as a manually controlled stove. The manual portion has a simple push button, click piezo ignitor while the automatic uses an electronically generated spark.

If you're talking about the manual "click" type push button system that's pretty simple. It's basically got three parts. The push button clicker that generates the spike of electricity, a wire and the ignitor tip.

First I would verify that the wire is connected and intact from the back of the push button spark generator to the ignitor tip. It's possible the wire has simply gotten pulled loose. Also if the insulation is nicked and near metal it can arc to the metal frame so the spark never makes it to the end of the wire where the ignitor is. Simply moving the wire away from metal and wrapping the damaged area with electrical tape will get it to work good enough to diagnose the problem.

Some stoves use the same ignitor tip for both the piezo and electronic ignition. There is not much to go wrong unless it's been hit and knocked out of position or if it's rusty or corroded. The wire must have good electrical (clean and not corroded) contact and the metal ignitor tip needs to be relatively close to something metal. Usually a metal shroud or the pilot light flame guard.

If it's working, your finger in the wrong place on the back of the ignitor will give a painful electric shock when you click the ignitor. If you don't like being shocked you can remove the ignitor and hold the metal contact on the back very close to something big & metal. When you click it you should see a spark. If it's not sparking almost any gas grill ignitor will work; piezo or battery powered.

Old 01-24-14, 12:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
THANKS!
Yes it is the manual push button type. I will take your advice and check things out this weekend. Shocks to the body I don't mind near as much as the shock to the wallet I am going to kick myself in the tail if this thing is a simple fix. Been lifting the logs to light the pilot now for many years.