Venting My Hot Water Tank

Old 02-10-14, 12:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Venting My Hot Water Tank

Ok, I have my hot water tank vented into my chimney which stops in my attic. There is a fan coming out of my roof which I assume draws all of the harmful co2 and other gasses out of the attic. I intend to turn my attic into living space. In order to do so, I must remove the chimney.

With that being said. My question is: can i vent my hot water tank through the same type of piping that leads into my chimney, all the way up through the attic and into the roof?

Let me clarify. I want to vent my hot water tank through the same material that is used to go from the tank to the chimney. However, I want to use that same piping, all the way from the hot water tank itself, through the house all the way up to the roof and put a vent on top in order to create the air flow for proper gas removal.

Is this possible? Is there a certain type of piping I need instead of that which I speak of? Is this safe? Please comment.

Old 02-10-14, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Hello steve and welcome..

Ok, I have my hot water tank vented into my chimney which stops in my attic. There is a fan coming out of my roof which I assume draws all of the harmful co2 and other gasses out of the attic.
Really!!!!??? This I would have to see... can you take pics? Possibly I am misunderstanding and you have a fan assisted vent...

Venting of the heater should be with double wall flue pipe..

But please give us more info on whats there and pics if you can...

Old 02-10-14, 03:11 PM
S
Flue pipe

So this double wall flue pipe I assume is the same pipe found inside chimneys? Or the piping used from the top of the hot water tank to the chimney itself or both? IN any case, what I really want to know is. Can I use this flue pipe as a stand alone vent all the way to my roof? Does it have to be inside of my chimney? Or can I simply wrap it with some kind of material to keep it and others safe from it. If this is the case. Where can i run it? Anywhere I want? Or must it be ran in certain places in your home? Can I run it up through whatever room I want? These are the things I need to know

Old 02-10-14, 09:22 PM
B
The way you have it set up now is not safe. There could be carbon monoxide drifting back into your house. Plus the hot exhaust gas shouldn't be going into your attic.

You should replace it with a double wall exhaust pipe. You will want to use a "Class B" vent. Typically it would be a 4" metal pipe, which would go from your hot water heater, up through your house, and out through the roof. There is no need to connect it to a brick chimney if you don't want to. Obviously it will need a rain cap on the top and proper roof flashing, etc. There are minimum requirements for spacing around the pipe, which means so many inches between the pipe and anything combustible (wood, drywall, etc).

You can run it up through your house, but you need to "fireblock" between floors. Usually that means putting a metal plate around the pipe at each floor level. This prevents a potential fire from spreading up through your house quickly. And you would want to box in the pipe with drywall once it is installed.

Google "Duravent class B" and you will find more info on these systems.

If it is too much trouble to run the exhaust pipe, there are some alternatives. One is to get an electric hot water tank, which doesn't need any type of exhaust vent. It could be a tank or tankless. There are also natural gas hot water heaters that vent out the side of your house, although they can be expensive and are more complex.

Old 02-26-14, 03:40 PM
T
vent

I agree with byhr3 - The fact that the carbon is linked with the gas isn't safe. Even though the air flows out, if for some reason it goes backwards, even for a second, could cause a mess or something even worse. Just pipe it with the double insulated pipe like mentioned before and have it as a stand alone vent. Combining the vents as little as possible is always the best route. Even though zoning sometimes will allow for it, that doesn't make it the best solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: