Wall breach chimney sealing compound what is it?

Old 02-13-14, 04:02 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall breach chimney sealing compound what is it?

Please see attached pictures I cannot figure out what this compound is. It was used to seal the vent from my oil furnace to the wall, when I moved in 6 months ago it was tight against the wall, now it has started to get more firm and crack lose.

I doubt it is asbestos, because it must have recently been applied if it is now further curing and cracking.

I have googled every combination of flue sealer chimney cement imaginable. So if someone could tell me what this is I would appreciate it.

Attached Images   
Old 04-01-14, 08:02 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall Breach Sealant

You're right, it is not an asbestos product. My furnace guy directed me to a local chimney supply where I purchased a high temperature furnace/refractory cement. It came in a gallon bucket for about $30. They told me to knock down the high edges with a hammer, and trowel the stuff into the breach joint with a rubber-gloved hand. You may want to double the glove to avoid ripping them with any sharp edges that may exist. The brand I bought was DO-ALL Plus by Utility Wonder Products, and it is a light steel gray color...but I'm sure there are other similar products out there. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: