is it safe to paint my fireplace insert

Old 02-26-14, 07:49 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is it safe to paint my fireplace insert

I'm not sure if i can paint my old fireplace insert. i don't like the brass look on the fireplace itself
I've attached a photograph of my fireplace
Any help will be appreciated

thanks
mick

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-14, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
I've painted several. If possible remove it so you can more easily work on it. Thoroughly scuff the brass with fine grit sandpaper or Scotch Brite pad. Thoroughly clean the metal with mineral spirits, paint thinner or lacquer thinner to remove dirt and oil. Then I'd paint it with a high temperature paint like is sold for barbecue grills, engines & exhaust headers.

Old 02-26-14, 08:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank pilot dane
i can remove the brass parts as the are screwed in.
i have hammerite high heat spray paint which resist up to 600 degrees Celsius. Is this suitable as i don't know how hot it get.

Old 02-26-14, 08:57 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you can find a good wood stove store you should take a look at the paints they sell. I painted my insert 20 years ago with an aerosol from a stove store. The color was your basic semi-flat black but it had some fine sparkle in it that nothing I could find at the hardware store had. Still looks great after all these years.

Old 02-26-14, 10:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I've painted a bunch of them, while heat paint is best, I have used regular flat rattle can paint and it does ok - if you want a sheen, it must be high heat paint. Your hammerite will do fine on anything that isn't exposed to the flame. Even the high dollar stove paint won't always hold up when exposed to flames.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: