Need advice on my chimney

Old 03-29-14, 01:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on my chimney

Hello everyone I am a brand new home owner (not really by choice but that is another story) and my chimney is having some really weird issues. We have natural gas heating with a furnace and chimney. The issue is that from the top of the chimney there is a strange rust oozing gloop for lack of proper terminology. It comes through the paint on the second floor of the house but no further down. I am trying to figure out what exactly to do about this without dealing with a chimney sweep as I have not been able to find a reputable business in the area.

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-14, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Hello and welcome...........

Well that's not a masonry chimney is it? Is that just a chase for b vent?

I assume there is an attic, and if there is have you went up and looked at all? I would say that there is a condensation issue going on....

Let us know the above questions....

Also take a pic of the hot water heater and/or furnace/boiler. ( Just like to know what you have vented to that chimney...)

Old 03-29-14, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Are you comfortable getting on the roof to inspect it? Is the drywall/plaster still solid or is it soft?

Old 03-29-14, 08:04 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
It looks like moisture tannins leached from wet wood. Probably have a flashing issue or debris piled up on the north side of the chimney that is causing water issues. Or like most, was not properly flashed in the first place or after the last roof replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: