Fireplace Flue could it be lined with asbestos?

Old 04-10-14, 06:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Flue could it be lined with asbestos?

Just purchased a house in Rogers Arkansas that was built around 1976. It had a fireplace that appeared to have been added after the house was built sitting in the living room, with a metal flue made of some sort of galvanized steel and is about 12" in diameter. It ran through the ceiling and up into the attic and out the roof. Removed the fireplace and the 3 sections of metal flue (each about 2.5 ft long). The sections are 12" in diameter and are lined with some VERY HEAVY!!!!! material which is about 1 1/2" thick completely around the interior of the flue and the inner wall is also covered with galvanized steel. My question is could this lining material be asbestos or is it some sort of concrete. I always thought asbestos was a light weight material. If it has the possibility to be asbestos, how should I proceed with disposing of the metal flue.

Old 05-01-14, 05:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post a picture for it.

You can send the material to a testing lab for an authoritative opinion.

If you go to a local woodstove type business and chat with the people there perhaps with a picture they probably have seen the same thing many times before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: