Fireplace surround finishing

Old 04-27-14, 08:34 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Fireplace surround finishing

I have a wooden Kauri fireplace surround and mantelpiece that has been sanded back to clean wood. What can I use to seal the wood and protect the wood from the heat from the open fire. Thank you.

Old 04-28-14, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Basically if heat is going to destroy the finish - the wood is too close to the firebox opening!!

I've used regular primer/paint or poly/varnish on every mantel or surround I've ever finished. Here in the US there is a minimum distance that wood has to be from the firebox opening.

Old 04-29-14, 08:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that, I'm sure that the surround is far enough away, however I was wondering if I could put an oil finish on it rather than poly/varnish as I think this would enhance the grain of the wood. I was wondering if I could use something like Linseed oil or something similar as it really is a beautiful piece of furniture.

Old 04-30-14, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I've not dealt much with oil rub finishes. Personally I like the look and protection that 3 coats of poly or varnish gives. I'd stain [or not] and apply 3 coats of poly, sanding lightly between coats. An oil finish should do ok if you want to go that route. As noted previously, if the heat is going to affect the finish, the wood is too close to the firebox opening!

Boiled linseed oil needs to be cut in half with paint thinner before it's applied otherwise it won't absorb and dry well. Here in the S.E.USA we don't use much linseed oil because it has a tendency to mildew.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: