convert small pond to fire pit

Old 05-08-14, 04:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
convert small pond to fire pit

I have a medium size pond in the backyard that is installed into the ground with a black plastic material that gives the pond a shape and form. When you step down into the pond, the surface is just below the waist line. What I had planned to do was fill the pond with dirt and then top the layer with sand and layer the side with flat stones to cover the plastic to avoid it melting and cover the top opening when not in use.

Now my questions and concerns are should I remove the plastic container or will it be ok to do what I stated above? If I don't remove I'm sure when it rains it will eventually fill up with water due to rain.

Is sand ideal to use?

Is it hard to maintain?

Any suggestions will help.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 05-08-14 at 05:14 AM. Reason: changed title to match subject of post
Old 05-08-14, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 825 Posts
I would remove the plastic liner. Then you are free to make your fire pit whatever size and shape you want without concern about covering the plastic. Also, even if you fill in the pond liner it will still hold water and you may end up with a muddy swamp that never dries out. I would fill in the hole with dirt, mainly because it's less expensive and if you ever abandon the fire pit idea you just have to plant grass.

Old 05-08-14, 05:34 AM
R
I was hoping I didn't have to remove it, but of course I figured when it rains...

1/4 of the back yard is concrete which is where the pond is made. So removing the pond may take a lot of work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 05-08-14, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
If it's too difficult to remove you can drill/cut some large drainage holes in the bottom and sides before filling it in.

Old 05-12-14, 04:44 AM
R
I managed to take out the pond liner out. How should I cover the hole?

I know I have to fill it up with dirt, but what recommendation should I use to layer the top? Shoukd I use sand or leave it as dirt?

What I want to do with this fire pit is be able to roast things. One of the things I would like to do is roast a whole pig lechon style.

Old 05-12-14, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Dirt or sand will not make any difference to a fire above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: