Rebuilding around Fireplace Insert

Old 05-20-14, 11:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding around Fireplace Insert

I have a fireplace insert in my house which has been in place for better than 20 years. We recently found termites under the floor and will need to remove the fireplace to repair the floor.

When the fireplace is put back, I'm considering modernizing the look. Currently, the fireplace is surrounded by fake rock. Although I did not build it, I'm guessing it is cement backer board on which the fake rock has been glued and then cement run between the 'fake rocks'.

Though I may end up reusing the rock as it would be cheaper to do so, I"m considering tiling the font of the fireplace instead of using the fake rock.

My questions are then: do I need to use special tile? Can I use standard ceramic tile over cement backer board? Do I need special mastic to put the tile on the cement backer board? What about grouting between the tiles: do I need to grout? Can I put the tiles edge to edge and not grout? Does grouting also need to conform to any particular codes? \

Thanks in advance for all input!

Old 05-23-14, 07:34 AM
M
Ok. Sorry, I guess I've put this in the wrong forum or wrong place? Can someone direct me to where I should place this for some input?

THANKS!!

Old 05-23-14, 07:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
The tile forum would probably get you more/better answers. Thinset is normally used to adhere the tiles. I think whether or not to tightly space the tiles [grout or not] depends on the type of tile used.

I don't think it matters what type of tile you use, the main thing is there is a specified distance from the firebox opening that must be of non combustible materials.

Old 05-24-14, 05:40 AM
M
Thanks for the input. I'll post a similar question there. Do you know the space needed around the fireplace? Or maybe I should just measure and build the new walls the same size as the old ones....

Old 05-24-14, 07:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
No I don't I think it's an universal code and shouldn't be too hard to find on line. I'm sure some of the guys here know .... if they have time to reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: