Fill hole in service chimney

Old 06-21-14, 10:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill hole in service chimney

I have a service chimney running from the basement to the roof. The brick portion has been abandoned below the roofline and only the metal pipe extends the required distance above roof (10-2-3 rule). In the basement the gas furnace exhausts via a flexible steel pipe that runs inside the chimney (installed long before I purchased the house).

I just removed the drywall from the portion of the chimney that runs through the kitchen and I found this vent. You can still the steel pipe running inside.

I'm going to reinstall the drywall (with shims so it's now true with the door trim/cabinets) and I was wondering what the hole was for and whether it is safe to abandon it? If so, what is the best material to fill it? Concrete?

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 06-21-14, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is a thimble that was most likely used for a stand alone wood heater. I see metal behind it in one picture. Surely the installer didn't wye this into the flue! Is it really part of the metal flue from the basement? Or do you have two flues? You can abandon to, but it must have a plug similar to what you are holding.

Old 06-21-14, 12:34 PM
D
No, it's not a Y. What you see behind is the flex tube that runs up inside the chimney. It's connected to the furnace in the basement. Above roofline there is a 3' tall 6" diameter solid pipe that the flex tube runs inside of and a cap on top that connects to the flex pipe.

Here is a better pic.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-14, 12:52 PM
D
Roof and basement. Single story house (plus basement).

Attached Images    
Old 06-21-14, 04:09 PM
OK, I see the pipe, clearer. You can abandon the thimble and plug it as planned. Nothing else uses this chase, right?

Old 06-21-14, 06:33 PM
D
OK, I see the pipe, clearer. You can abandon the thimble and plug it as planned.
Is leaving the thimble pipe in place and just filling with concrete the best way?

Nothing else uses this chase, right
Only have two levels, basement (where water heater and furnace exhaust into chimney) and kitchen where thimble is located. Then it runs into the attic but that's unfinished space.

Old 06-22-14, 08:45 AM
Yes, you can put in some sort of backer and fill the hole with concrete, smoothing on the surface. You definitely ned to occlude it, since it is a fire chase to the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: