Doors or just shroud on fireplace insert

Old 07-03-14, 07:54 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doors or just shroud on fireplace insert

Got some quotes for a gas fireplace insert. One has just a shroud for about $95 and the other has doors for about $750. Seems like a lot to pay and not sure why I would need doors on an insert (other than a "look" - and maybe it keeps small hands away from a hot insert?

Old 07-09-14, 08:56 AM
N
The purpose of a shroud is to fill the existing void after you slide the insert into the opening, which is required for a complete installation.

The purpose of most doors on a gas insert is purely decorative. They would servce no purpose because a direct vent insert has a sealed combustion box with glass. Doors are nice to take the glare/reflection off the glass to give it a more realistic appearance, but also if you have children it will help prevent a more serious burn. They will still receive a burn when touch a door after it is burning, but not near as bad as touch that glass 2 hours into a burn.

The price of some doors can get north of $1,000 depending on the finish and look. They are not for everyone, but keep in mind the fireplace is more than likely the focal point in the room. A nice set of doors can really make an ok fireplace look great.

Also keep in mind, a set of doors could more than likely be added later if the budget is stretched.

Old 07-09-14, 09:09 AM
B
Thanks for the comprehensive response NorthernPine - appreciate it!

Old 07-09-14, 09:34 AM
N
No problem. The other thing to make sure you ask is do the doors include the shroud. Many fireplace manufacturers make the doors attached to the shroud. So the cost for doors may seem high, but it is including your shroud.

Old 07-09-14, 10:17 AM
B
Thanks again. The quote I have is $768 for arched full door shroud. Seems very expensive. The alternative I have is "Masonry shroud - black" $98. I couldn't see why I would spend that much more for the doors - and since they are just decorative really - I think I will just go with the $98 shroud. I can always get a $49 folding decorative screen to put up when the grandkids come over so they don't burn themselves on the glass.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: