Removing a Heatilator & brick facade

Old 07-03-14, 09:01 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing a Heatilator & brick facade

I recently purchased an older (80s) home that has what I was told is a Heatilator and a huge red brick fašade. I would like to remove the heatilator and all of the brick fašade myself. My question is does the heatilator box or interior brick fašade play any part in the structure of the chimney?

My chimney extends approx. 8' - 10' above the roof line and has 3 sides exterior to the house, it appears the inside wall of the chimney is being supported by the basement footing. There is an exposed pipe coming through the basement block wall from a woodstove that was tied into the chimney that was removed prior to us purchasing the house. There is no other support in the inside of the basement under the fireplace that continues down to the footing indicating that its being supported inside the house in any way.

I assume if the chimney has 3 sides exterior to the house it should have its own footings ? Would that make the block wall of the basement the footing for the 4th side ?

Any help or opinions would be great.

Old 07-09-14, 09:05 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are referring to a gas insert Heatilator, then I would say the fireplace is not supporting the structure. Keep in mind, most gas fireplaces are built out of 16 to 22 gauge steel so that is not going to support stone or a chimney. There is likely a lintel iron that is supporting the brick or the brick may just be a decorative row and there is block behind it.

When I took out the chimney in my house, the entire system (chimney and surround) was made out of individual bricks. Very messy, but it allowed me to open up the room and put direct vent fireplace in another location.

Yes, I would assume if the chase is attached to the house that it has footings.

Are you wanting to remove the entire fireplace and just slide another insert in? Or are you wanting to completely remove everything and start from ground zero?

Easiest would likely be to put in an insert and if the red brick is just a face to remove that and steel stud the wall, sheet with durock, and tile over.

Keep in mind, if your going gas insert, you need to be careful how much you modify of the existing fireplace. Modifying an existing woodburner for a gas insert too much, then you will just need to go DV fireplace and not an insert.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: