Old Chimney Questions

Old 08-08-14, 04:32 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Chimney Questions

Unfortunetly no photos to help visualize.

My home built in the 50's.

Chimney is cinderblock from basement thru chase to the attic floor. From attic floor and thru attic it is brick. Where it exits the attic floor and where the hole is cut in the decking of the roof is not directly in line. So the bricks are constructed with a slight lean or stutter.

If that portion was plumb, then the chimney would exit right at the ridge. But instead it exits about 2' from the ridge on square decking. But in order to achieve that it leans as I describe.

Does that sound screwy?

Also, trying to judge if the chimney is original. Would a house that is approaching 60 years old use cinderblock thru the interior of the house? And then brick from the attic floor and thru roof? Or at that age of the house, would it have been all brick foundation to top?

Old 08-08-14, 06:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi CWS,
Not sure on the age, but what is the chimney currently used for and do you have future plans for it?
Also, is it lined or just cinder block and brick?

Modern heating systems are now using direct vents out the side of a home eliminating the need for a chimney or going with a heat pump which has no vent. Even fancy fireplace units would require a smaller liner to be installed. Masonry chimneys have the problem that they present a cold surface for the lower temperature gasses passing through them. A smaller liner keeps the gas flow moving and doesn't require heating the mass of all of those bricks and blocks.

Bud

Old 08-09-14, 06:53 AM
T
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Screwy - yes. But I'd bet my last dollar that it was built that way for some odd reason. Shouldn't have any worries, I had a home built in the 30's. You should have seen the angle on that sucker in my attic.

Old 08-10-14, 04:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you think its possible to get a metal liner thru a crooked chimney like that? Its currently lined with a clay liner.

Old 08-10-14, 05:04 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The metal liners I have seen are very flexible, and should not be a problem. Correction welcome if that is wrong.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: