Fireplace insert install

Old 08-26-14, 10:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace insert install

Hello,

I have an fireplace insert I purchased off of craigslist, and the previous owner included the stainless steel liner, plus a bunch of stove pipe. I am installing into an existing brick chimney. I believe the previous owner also had a brick chimney this was installed in. I don't plan on doing the install myself, so maybe this is the wrong website to be on, but...

I had a contractor over to give me a quote for install, and he said that the stove pipe was unnecessary in a brick chimney - that only the stainless steel liner was necessary.

Who is right? What is the purpose of ever installing the liner inside the stove pipe?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 09-01-14, 11:22 AM
What brand fireplace insert is it?? You can find the manual for most brands via google the manual will state exactly what is required. A liner only does not sound right to me.
I have stainless going up my chimney 3 inch, most stoves require 3 inch or 4 inch depending on height needed to clear chimney and altitude.

Last edited by Mark_MS; 09-01-14 at 11:26 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-01-14, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
I replied to this on 8/27/14 at 1:44AM but the post is missing ?

What does the installation manual for the insert recommend ?
If you don't have that information - post the make and model and we could check on it.

Basically an echo of Mark's. Thanks for posting Mark

My insert uses a 4" concentric stainless stovepipe that goes thru the brick chimney to a cap up top.

Old 09-01-14, 12:59 PM
I didn't delete your post!!

Old 09-01-14, 01:03 PM
It occurred to me that I am quoting pipe dimensions for a pellet stove insert and not a wood insert, which requires a minimum of 6 inch pipe.
If OP would tell us what he has would be great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: