Suggestions for demo of old fireplace

Old 10-01-14, 12:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Suggestions for demo of old fireplace

Hey gang,

I'd like to demo the fireplace in the picture below, and replace it with a modern gas stove. From talking to a guy who's done it before, the existing pipe is 16" triple wall, and there is just framing behind the wood paneling.

What is the most effective way to demo this? I'm thinking a sledge hammer or perhaps even renting an electric jackhammer to take out the rock. Then pry off the paneling and take a sawsall to the framing.

Also, will demoing the rock kick up an epic dust mess comparable to sanding drywall, such that it's worth the trouble to hang drop cloths around the entire work area? Or does it tend to be just a localized mess that I can vacuum up when I'm done.

Once it's exposed, what is a good sequence for removing the fireplace? What tools do I use to cut the pipe, where do I cut it, and what is the deal with the "triple wall", am I going to have inner pipes rocketing out at me once I finish the cut?

A contractor wanted $1500 for the job, but I'm thinking it's something i can knock out in a weekend and save some cash.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-01-14, 01:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I assume you have a metal firebox and not a masonry firebox and flue. The rock should come loose fairly easy with a hammer and chisel. It's best to disconnect triple wall pipe rather than cut it.

Old 10-01-14, 02:27 PM
J
Hi,

Yes, it's a metal firebox.

The pipe will have to be cut off, ideally just above the sheetrock - the people who install the new gas stove will be running its 8" pipe inside of the existing (16") pipe. I'm guessing I can disconnect it from the old fireplace, but then I'll have to cut it off at the ceiling.

I've never worked with triple wall pipe, but I've been told to watch out for inner pipes that slide out after cutting it. I had assumed the inner pipes were somehow attached to eachother, but it sounds like maybe not?

Old 10-01-14, 02:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
The pipe comes in sections, it's not one long pipe to the top. You'll know more once you get the wall opened up. I don't have much experience with the double or triple wall stove pipe either

Old 10-01-14, 03:11 PM
J
Got it. I'll just take it slow, and anticipate that inner pipe might come sliding out at me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: