Fireplace and Wood Burning Stove

Old 11-06-14, 01:44 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace and Wood Burning Stove

I just moved into my house a year ago and have a fireplace on my main floor and a wood burning stove in the basement. When using the fireplace last winter smoke goes into the basement even if the flu is open. I have not even tried using the wood stove yet. Any suggestions on who I can call or how to fix it. I should note I am not very handy.

Old 11-06-14, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like there is a downdraft where the smoke is going up the fireplace flue and back down the wood stove flue. Are the flues open? or do they have a cap? If you want to hire it out - call a chimney sweep.

Old 11-06-14, 02:18 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Do the two wood burning units share the same flue or each its own?
Is this an inside chimney or does it run up the outside of the house?
Single story home on a basement?
Is the wind blowing when this smoke shows up in the basement?

That will help get us going.

Bud

Old 11-16-14, 07:02 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bud

The chimney does run on the outside of the house and they share the same flue. Not sure about the wind. We have a ranch converted to a cape. There is no worries about the top floor as it was put in about 7 years ago.

Old 11-16-14, 08:10 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
An outside chimney is much more difficult to establish a draft being much colder. With two sharing one flue I suspect it is a large flue and even more difficult to warm up.

First you need to know what is up there so I would start by asking someone who installs chimney liners to give an estimate. If he cannot install a liner for the wood stove below while the fireplace is using the same flue then ask what his suggestion would be. If he can install one then you have one option with a price.

Another concern would be local codes. He or someone should advise you as to what is permitted as insurance will want it to be approved.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: