My fireplace sticks out 4.5 feet, What should I do?

Old 11-14-14, 10:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My fireplace sticks out 4.5 feet, What should I do?

Hey everyone,

I am first time poster and I need some help with my fireplace.

My fireplace is located in my den and it's footprint in the room is just too big. Its a gas fireplace. We either want it shrunk or we just want to demolish it all together.

First option: Is there anyway we can shrink the fireplace and make so it doesn't stick out so much, may be shrink it so it only stick out a foot - 2feet? Make it flush with the wall in the back?

Second Option: Demolish it. With this we would just remove everything (including the chimney, I'm assuming we would have to??). In regards to the chimney (see attached pics) it's all brick and goes up through the attic. So we would have remove all that to as well. Seems like a bigger job, but I'm not sure.

Just very confused here. Again we don't want to spend a fortune on this but we do want some of our room back.

Name:  IMG-20141021-WA0010.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  IMG-20141021-WA0009.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  42.6 KB
Name:  IMG-20141114-WA0000.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20141114_161748.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  34.3 KB

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-14, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You seem to have a well built albatross. It has a nice design on the face, but sticking out that far eats up a lot of real estate. Since you only use gas firelogs, a total demolition is about the only way you can eliminate the footprint. You can't take out any of the "in room" portion without eliminating the chimney due to support factors. Of course this may not be a good winter time project, as you will have everything exposed from your floor to heaven until you can get it covered.
How do you feel about removing the chimney yourself? It could be daunting since you have a 12:12 pitch roofline. We are a DIY site, but certain projects exceed what we see as truly DIY and would suggest the help of professionals to do certain phases of it. This is one of them. Once someone comes in and removes the chimney portion down to the ceiling, then you could take over quite easily and do the remaining demo and rebuild as needed with a more discreet chimney facade.

Hopefully you have some of that handscraped maple flooring left over so you can fill in where your fireplace hearth is located now. If not, try to secure some, since you have this plan in mind.

Old 11-15-14, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I see the wall is 45 degree, Do you know if it is hollow behind fire place? Could demo original and rebuild it in wall. I had one once like that and was pretty nice. Anyway you go about it will be a big job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: