Maximum temperature inside a build-out for a gas fireplace?

Old 11-18-14, 06:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maximum temperature inside a build-out for a gas fireplace?

I have a new fireplace installed in my basement. It is a 42" direct vent without a fan, here is a URL for the exact unit (Cosmo 42 Gas Fireplace). It was built into a corner of my basement, but not framed up. I have framed it according to the specifications in the manual, and have not included a vent in the build out, as there is no mention of venting in the manual. I know some fireplaces require venting so I called the place I bought it from to make sure that no venting was required and they confirmed that there is no venting required.

However, since I'm super paranoid about this I thought I would clad the framing in cement board, but before putting the stack stone on, I would run a little experiment. I taped a thermometer to the wall inside the build out, closed everything up (put all the cement board on) and let the fireplace run for around an hour straight. I pulled the cement board off and checked the thermometer, and it was at 42 celcius (or 107 fahrenheit). This seemed rather hot to me, and I was worried about the heat. Keep in mind that since this is in the basement the ceiling is drywall with joists above. Additionally, there is insulation running along the joist of the outside walls (since this is in a basement corner, the two walls are outside walls).

Oh one more thing, I ran the same experiment with one cement board off (so a 2 foot by 2 foot hole in the cladding) and the temperature only reached 30 celcius, so the build out being fully clad did increase the temperature inside the build out.

What is considered acceptable heat for inside a fireplace build out?

Last edited by jadeddog; 11-18-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 09:18 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to be finding the manual that came with the unit or going on there website for install directions.
The one you posted the web site on needs double walled pipe for exhaust and make up air.
It's also 0 clearance so there is no need for tile board.

Old 11-19-14, 05:30 AM
J
The manual I linked is the correct manual. I have the physical manual that came with the unit still, and it 100% matches the PDF on the website.

The instructions state that you need 1 inch of clearance around the unit, so I don't know where you are getting the "0 clearance" part from? You are correct though, it doesn't actually call for cement board, it states (and the store I bought it from confirmed) that I can use drywall. I am using cement board because I am paranoid, and because I am putting stack stone as the finish on it, which drywall won't work for.

I don't know what "make up air" refers to though? Can you explain that part please?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: