1st Floor Fireplace Opening Issue

Old 11-29-14, 10:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st Floor Fireplace Opening Issue

Hi all,

New member here looking for a bit of advice. We've been getting the smell of smoke from our next door neighbour's house and it's been coming through the fireplace on the first floor. The smell of smoke is actually from their cigarettes not a fire luckily but we're expecting our first baby in April and we want to turn this room into a nursery so I want to get it fixed asap.

I remove the fireplace to have a look at the issue and I've come across this.

It really doesn't look safe, I'm guessing this crumbled brickwork has been stacked up to hold the base of the first floor chimney?

Also about 6 months ago we found out that smoke comes out of this fireplace when we light the fireplace downstairs so I guess this is related to this issue. Since then we haven't had any fires just to be safe. What do you think we should do next? We did have a guy come round and say that we'd need to have a chimney liner put it and the total cost including labour would be 2,000 seems a bit expensive though!

Would the ground floor chimney be connected straight to the first floor chimney and is this an obstruction?

Sorry for the load of questions!

Thanks

Tim

Old 11-29-14, 01:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums from across the pond. It seems you may have tried to upload pictures, but it didn't work. Try this so we can see what you are seeing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-29-14, 01:54 PM
T
Thanks Chandler! Ah no worries I need to alter my privacy settings.

Hopefully this should do the job:

Old 11-29-14, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You shouldn't have a common flue from downstairs to upstairs, but that construction looks old enough to need prompt attention. In all probabilities it has gone far beyond DIY, and you should call in a professional fireplace/chimney person to see what you have and what can be done to eliminate this fireplace and/or allow the other fireplace to operate properly without back drafting.

Old 12-01-14, 03:14 AM
T
Thanks for the response Larry, you're right that sounds best. I'll get in contact with a professional and update the forum when I have a response.

Cheers

Tim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: