Gas fireplace shuts off along with Pilot.

Old 12-17-14, 03:28 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace shuts off along with Pilot.

I have a Desa vented gas fireplace, model number DVF36TA.

The pilot will light and stays lit, and then I flip the switch on the wall for the fireplace to turn on and the fireplace will turn on and burn for a little while.

I then hear a loud "CLICK" and the fire goes out along with the pilot. I am not very familiar with gas fireplaces but have read that I can repair some things on them myself as long as I use caution and take my time.

The pilot light is blue, not yellow.

The unit is also controlled by a "light switch" on the wall next to the fireplace if that makes any difference.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Here is a picture of the pilot, not sure if you can tell anything by looking at it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43400[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-14, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
In the diagram below.... it's the job of the thermocouple to hold the gas pilot valve open. It looks like it may be fairly eaten from the pilot flame.

Name:  desa.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  31.7 KB

The following link is to Desa. Use the pull down menu to locate your manual. I couldn't find your exact model number in the list so I used a similar model. Good troubleshooting info/links on right side of page.
Desa fireplace parts, tech support & manuals

The part number for your pilot assembly is 108084-02. It can be found in the link below. It's shown as an assembly and the individual parts are on the right.
Pilot assembly Natural Gas # 51 Injector

Old 12-18-14, 03:39 PM
G
Thanks for the help. I also cannot find any information or parts for my exact part number (DVF36TA) however I have a metal plaque with that part number clearly stamped into it as the Model Number for my unit. Maybe this such an old unit they discontinued and issued a new number for that system?

The link you gave me for the whole pilot assembly, will that one work with my DVF36TA?

Old 12-18-14, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... and if you use the fireplace a lot, in my opinion, it would be worth changing the entire plate with all the parts included. It's a major job to get to that assembly so changing all parts at one time will give you a fresh start.

Old 12-18-14, 04:00 PM
G
Do you happen to have the link for the entire plate assembly? I could not find it.

Old 12-18-14, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
It's in my second post.... pilot assembly #51.

That link takes you to allparts. With the part number 108084-02 you can search for other vendors.

Old 12-18-14, 04:29 PM
G
Oh sorry, I see it now. Is this just as simple as undoing all the connections and installing the new one in reverse order?

Is there anything I should be weary of while installing it or any tips or tricks?

Obviously I will have the gas shut off while replacing.

Old 12-18-14, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
The thermocouple will come with a small nut on the end that will screw into the gas valve.
The pilot generator has two wires with terminals. Those will go to the same terminals as the old one on the gas valve.
The pilot tube may need two small wrenches.
There will be one wire on the igniter. Not sure how that is connected but it should be easy enough.

Each device has a different connection so there's no chance of getting them mixed up. Just the pilot generator with two leads will need to be connected to the same color/terminals.

Old 12-18-14, 04:37 PM
G
So just to get things straight, If i replace this whole unit it will virtually eliminate any problems that are occurring? (minus the gas shut off valve itself coming through the wall).

Old 12-18-14, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
It doesn't eliminate the actual gas valve. The valve is electro-mechanical and can fail although it's pretty rare.

That has a standing pilot (always lit) and those two parts take a pounding in the heat.
(thermocouple and pilot generator)

Old 12-18-14, 04:54 PM
G
Awesome, thank you for all the help and quick replies.

Today I took everything out and cleaned the whole fireplace and and sprayed compressed air in all the holes and ports. The fireplace cranked right up and burned fine and didnt shut itself off like it was before... but then after shutting it off and letting it cool down the pilot light went out on its own again..

So It sounds like the pilot assembly could be my problem now.

Old 12-18-14, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Like I mentioned earlier..... it could just be the thermocouple. So you could just try changing that first or change the whole works.

The pilot flame should be a fairly good sized flame.

Old 01-04-15, 08:26 AM
G
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the help though. I have ordered the entire assembly and will be replacing it as soon as it arrives.

My other question is do I need any special tools other than some open end wrenches and some screwdrivers (for the electrical connections) in order to remove/replace the gas fittings? I know they may certain wrenches to fit around fittings and what not..

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-04-15, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Work carefully as some of the gas fittings are brass and can strip easily. Make sure the wrench fits the nut tightly. You may possibly find metric sizes in there.

Old 01-26-15, 02:45 PM
G
I purchased the whole new Pilot/Sensor assembly as mentioned below and installed it myself. The fireplace now works perfect with no problems!

Thank you for the assistance!

Old 01-26-15, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome job Thanks for stopping back and leaving us an update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: