Can I replace propane fireplace insert with wood burning variant?

Old 01-05-15, 03:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I replace propane fireplace insert with wood burning variant?

I just moved into a house that has a previously-installed Heatilator Direct Vent GCDC60 propane fireplace. It is roughly 46" wide x 36" tall and has a stone surround. It has a rear vent.

I've been searching the internet and found some conflicting info on this....I want to remove this insert and replace it with preferably a wood stove insert. Is this even possible? Or am I looking at an insane amount of work?

My main reasoning us that the rest of my house is heated with propane, so I don't really gain anything by running this unit.

Old 01-15-15, 02:10 PM
N
According to the Heatilator website, that model of fireplace is not an insert, it is a DV fireplace. Meaning it is installed in wood framing and a direct vent pipe taken out the side of the house or up thru the roof.

When you say you want to put in a wood stove insert, that needs to go into an existing masonry or existing woodburning fireplace. Hence insert.

I can see why your getting mixed answers, it is more due to a terminology reason. You can remove the fireplace and add a zero clearance wood burning fireplace. To really break down the cost, you'd have to get an installer out there to measure out the chimney height. Because that Heatilator fireplace uses direct vent pipe, you will likely need class A double wall pipe for your wood burner. Likely spend just as much in a stainless steel chimney as you will on the fireplace, but they are there to last.

I wouldn't necessarily say just because your furnace is propane, and your fireplace is propane you need to change out the fireplace to save money. Zone heating will save you quite a bit of money. What I mean by that is the furnace is heating the entire house when it is running, where the fireplace is just heating the room(s) that it is in. So if the fireplace is in a room that is used a lot you could save money by just running the fireplace as that room will heat up quick if it is an efficient fireplace. And then the heat from that room will move into the other rooms, granted not as well as a ducted furnace, but possibly enough for you to live with it to save some money.

Old 01-26-15, 04:18 AM
N
I would love to replace my gas DV with a wood version, but I would then need to install an exterior Metalbestos chimney which wouldn't be cheap...

Old 01-26-15, 04:58 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You might look at pellet stoves as they can be directly vented to the outside. I know little about them but have seen a few installations.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: