Sealing off Direct Vent Gas Fireplace - Draft!

Old 01-06-15, 08:41 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing off Direct Vent Gas Fireplace - Draft!

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me out. We moved into our home in April, and have noticed the past few (cold!) weeks that there is a draft coming in the lower vent of our gas fireplace. I took the lower vent off and noticed that air was gushing through the conduit that the gas line was fed through from outside. I covered the gap with duct tape and the draft was immediately gone. My question is, is this a reliable fix? Should I be using tape that is graded for high temps? Can the gap even be closed? I do not want to turn the fireplace on until I know for sure. I am definitely a rookie, but am really wanting warm family room!! Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-15, 12:18 PM
N
The draft is likely do to a poor insulation job behind the fireplace itself. I would use non-faced fiberglass insulation to pack in the opening where the wire is coming into the box.

Old 01-15-15, 12:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd see if I could find the other end as well to see if it's equally as open.

Old 01-15-15, 02:00 PM
N
That sounds easy, but when the direct vent fireplace is already installed the only way to get behind that opening is to remove the fireplace.

If this was an insert, different story, but being a fireplace that is a very complex project. Your most cost and time effective solution will be to just block the opening where the line comes in.

If you wanted to really dig into it, then you are cutting open some drywall to expose the back wall to determine where the draft or poor insulation was performed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: