tempered glass keeps shattering

Old 01-08-15, 07:32 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tempered glass keeps shattering

I've got a gas fireplace insert that has shattered it's tempered glass front 2x in less than 4 months of use. I have always throttled the gas valve down for a couple reasons.... it runs cooler and it seems to keep temps more stable in the room. It's on a thermostat for what it's worth. The unit does have a fan which I never use. Mostly because of the noise level and it really doesn't seem to do much as far as distributing warm air around. I'm beginning to wonder if the fan might help cool the glass and perhaps I should be running it. But then I consider that it's on a separate switch than the burner so if it were designed to run all the time they wouldn't be switched individually. The tempered glass is $24 to replace as opposed to $375 for a piece of high temp glass. But replacing it frequently is a pain in the butt. Any ideas on why the glass would be getting so hot that it would shatter, or how I might combat the cause? I don't think it's getting thermally shocked outside of just too damn hot apparently.When it's as cold as it has been currently (5 deg. f) it runs pretty constant throttled back like it is. Thanks for any input.... Gary

Old 01-08-15, 07:39 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
I suspect the key word here is Hi-Temp glass. I'm confused. Is the glass on the thermostat as a cover or is the glass for the whole fireplace? In either case it should be hi-temp rated. Is this the original glass as purchased with the unit? If the first piece that broke is the originnal as purchased from the manufacture then the manufacture made a mistake. Call the manufacturer and ask what glass is needed for that unit. I'll bet it's Hi-Temp.

Old 01-08-15, 07:58 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I agree with Norm,
I have a Regency wood stove with a glass front which "I" broke once. It was expensive but the replacement and the original never have had a problem with heat.

As for tempered glass, I used that in my store window as a safety glass, it breaks into tiny pieces instead of falling in large sheets.

Bud

Old 01-08-15, 08:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My bad.... I confused you with the t-stat. Disregard the t-stat. The glass is on the front of the fireplace. This is an older (89) mobile home, so I'm guessing the fireplace is same vintage. It first shattered last winter. I ran without it till it warmed up and I could replace. It does have a nice screen enclosure so I felt safe with that, though I did get a lot of cold drafts when the wind was up, and lot's of pilot light blowouts. The local glass store told me that I had 2 choices in replacement glass. Tempered @ $24 or hi-temp @$375.... that was a no brainer for me. And what I was replacing had been tempered glass which had remained intact for the 3 or so years that I've been in here using it.

Old 01-08-15, 08:41 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
But was it the original glass? Again, call the manufacture (if you know it and their still in business) and find out what is recommended. I'm surprised the local glass store even considered plain tempered glass knowing what it was for. The only thing I can think of that it did not break previously is that you had the temp down very low or you had the fan on when using the heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: