Need help with supplemental heat in basement

Old 02-21-15, 05:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with supplemental heat in basement

My wife and I are in need of supplemental heat in our basement (on very cold nights or in a power outage). We have gotten multiple quotes to run a gas line to the fireplace all over $1500. We can't use it for wood because the liner is cracked, plus the wife is allergic to smoke. Is there a propane insert or something that works with the LP tanks similar to those for grills that I can get and use the chimney as is for ventilation? Hope to keep price around $600-700.

Old 02-21-15, 06:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What about electric heat? There is no smoke unless it catches fire.

Old 02-21-15, 06:33 PM
C
Wanting something we can still use in case of an power outage.

Old 02-21-15, 06:38 PM
K
Cant be done, at least not safely. An LP fireplace would have to have a new liner put through the existing chimney. These firplaces require fresh outside air to work, and that is all part of the exhuast. You would probably be better of using a direct vent LP fireplace and putting it in a differnt location. No matter what you put in place of the fireplace that is there, it will have to have a new liner installed in the chimney.

Old 02-21-15, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is doubtful a 20 lb tank can supply enough to run the fireplace for a long time. I use a 100lb tank for our occasional use of our fireplace/generator/emergency stove in the basement. It is a little more unwieldy than a grill tank.

Old 02-21-15, 06:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Just about everything takes electric to start. Have you considered a propane generator? There is no smoke unless it catches fire.

Old 02-21-15, 06:50 PM
K
I agree with Pulpo. For $600 you could buy a generator and run a small electric heater or some other heat source when needed.

A Kersonie heater is the only thing I can think of that does not require power but also can be burned without a chimney, however most people don't like the smell and it is not something you would want to use as a supplement, only in a power outage.

Old 02-21-15, 07:54 PM
C
Is there any option, insert wise, I could explore that I can use the chimney as is? Vented through chimney or ventless. I don't need to keep it ready to go all the time. Thats sort of why I mentioned LP tanks similar to those on grills. I can store the tanks separately and only connect them when needed.

Old 02-21-15, 09:37 PM
K
There is no option that I know of that will be safe To do what you want. No matter what type of inseet you get, it needs and intake and exhuast vented to the outside somehow. Just putting it in the chimney cavity is not good enough. You technically could just use a small propane tank and heater and use it in the house near the chimney, but if you ever had a fire your insurance company would never cover you if they found out that was there, even if it wasn't the cause.

We have construction grade propane heaters that do what you are asking but the are noisy as hell and still require venting via open windows. I guess an old chimney might be good enough. If you only wanted something for emergency heat, that might work for you. They are cheap enough at $100 - 300.

Old 02-21-15, 10:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
You can get a gas insert for your fireplace that uses a concentric stainless steel pipe that brings in fresh air and discharges exhaust thru the center.

However they are pricey and so is the exhaust system. They will be well over your budget number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: