Fireproofing a wood burning insert?

Old 05-09-15, 06:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireproofing a wood burning insert?

Hey all!
So I found a fireplace that Im interested in, but it comes with an electric insert. I live in an area with frequent power outages during the winter, so a wood burning insert would have its benefits. I emailed the manufacturer and they said they could send the fireplace without the insert, but it would be my responsibility to "fireproof" it and it would void their warranty. The fireplace it a wooden frame which would just be slid up against the wall. As a kid we just had our insert inside of a rock wall, so I was just wondering how to make it so the insert wouldn't damage the fireplace. Thanks for any information!

Old 05-09-15, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I've read your post several times and I'm not following what you are doing.
I'm not sure I understand what a wooden fireplace is.

Can you post a picture or two of the item or even a link to it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 05-09-15, 07:50 PM
A
https://www.magnoliahall.com/bedroom...ster-fireplace

It's not letting me post a picture, so here's a link. Hope that sheds some light, I'm probably just not explaining it correctly. I want to use a wood burning insert instead of eggs electric one that comes with it, but I don't want damage to come to the fireplace.

Name:  fireplace-wall.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  45.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-09-15 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-09-15, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
I added the picture for you. The original was too big to post here.

Do you have an existing fireplace there now ?
If not..... how can you add a wood burning insert without an exhaust flue ?

Old 05-10-15, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While not as pretty, a wood stove puts out more heat and wouldn't need any modifications to install but like Pete said - you have to have some type of flue! The flue needs to be separated from the wood framing. If I'm not mistaken a gas unit may not require flue system as extensive.

Old 05-19-15, 02:14 PM
Definitely need more info for this but sounds like a modular fire place to me and in that case they have their own clearances built in and can be within 2or3inches away from wood. Not you need a liner. I would look into class a chimneys if you don't have an existing masonry chimney.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: